
When Ash and I were dating, word got out that things were getting pretty serious. When Ashley's dad Jim heard that we were dropping the "L" word pretty often and the "M" word was brought up frequently, the interview process began (I can't wait until it is my turn for this). After a series of questions Jim jokingly asked how many cows Ashley was worth, referring to the oh-so-famous Johnny Lingo. I don't remember how many I said (I think it was infinity). Jim then
asked if I was going to give him steers or heifers. Not too familiar with livestock lingo, I told him I'd give him whichever tasted better. He got a kick out of that.
When the time came to officially ask Jim for permission to marry Ash, I thought I'd keep my word and give him his cows. After we had talked and I got the green light, I took him out to the front steps where I had set up my part of the bargin (see picture). After we had taken pictures in front, he noticed and commented that there were also horses, sheep, goats, and pigs. I told him that Ashley was worth more than just cows. So smooth. I know.
On our wedding day at our luncheon, Jim retold the story and then pulled out an engagement picture that he had framed. Continuing with the story he pointed out the plaque with the incription "The Elggren Herd" at the bottom with two little cows on each side. He then gave us a few more cows so that we could add them to the "herd" when we bring our little Elggy's into the world. So there you have it, the story behind the name. Just don't go calling us cows now.
Happy Halloween!
10 years ago
2 comments:
Great story! Glad you got your "10 cow woman." Ashley, he's a keeper! This is from your long-lost cousin Dan's wife (does that make sense?) Good-looking blog! Hope things are going well;-) I've loved getting to know Amy & Emily better this year. We're at www.elggrens.blogspot.com
Welcome to the blogging world. It can become addictive. Have you figured out how to have your comments emailed? It's the best. Glad to see you guys have joined the ranks. Now you'll have to keep it updated.
Post a Comment